Freshwater Pearly Compressiceps Cichlid is also called Lamprologus, Calvus Cichlid, Pearly Compressiceps, Pearly Lamprologus, and Pearly Calvus. Pearly Compressiceps Cichlid Habitat in Lake Tanganyika, Between Kapampa. The Kapampa Democratic Republic of the Congo and cape Chaitika Country Zambia. Male Size upto 15cm and Female Size upto 10cm, Aquarium Temperature ranges from 73 to 81°F or 23-27°C
About Pearly Compressiceps Cichlid
- was first discovered in 1978 and can be found in Lake Tanganyika, Between Kapampa the Kapampa Democratic Republic of the Congo and Cape Chaitika Country Zambia
- Other names are Lamprologus, Calvus Cichlid, Pearly Compressiceps, Pearly Lamprologus, and Pearly Calvus.
- Male Pearly Compressiceps Cichlid Size is about 15cm, and Female Size is about 10cm.
- They are Relatively calmer Cichlids.
- Life expectancy around 8 to 10 years
- The Swim on the surface as well as deep waters
- They are omnivorous and always good to feed live foods.
The scientific name of Pearly Compressiceps Cichlid
Their scientific name is Altolamprologus Calvus.
How to identify Pearly Compressiceps Cichlid
- Male Size is about 15cm, and Female Size is about 10cm.
- Altolamprologus Species distinguished from related genus Neolamprologus.
- Including the fairy Cichlid by their deeper body and dorsal fin. Which makes them more robust and predatory
- Another Altolamprologus like A.compressiceps and can grow upto 16cm.
- Much smaller A.compressiceps have a maximum length of about 8cm.
Other names of Pearly Compressiceps Cichlid
- Black Calvus,
- White Calvus,
- White Chaitika,
- Tanganyika Blackfin,
- Congo Blackfin,
- Black Congo White Pearl,
- White Lamprologus,
- Yellow Calvus,
- Black Pearl Calvus,
- Black Sambia,
- Black Pectoral,
- Black Zaire,
- Black Kapampa,
- and RedFin Calvus.
The behavior of Pearly Compressiceps Cichlid
- They are Semi-aggressive, Cichlid.
- Should be kept with equally robust species
- Many said that they tend to Steal eggs from mouthbrooders
- They many times intolerant towards another Altolamprologus species
- It’s advisable to stay the same fish in one tank and preferably in pair if possible.
- Pearly Compressiceps Cichlid listed on the IUCN Red List as Near Threatened (NT)
- Compressiceps Cichlid lives in rocky areas close to shore in the coastal regions at depths between 10 – 135 feet.
- They are predatory in nature, so all other fish in the tank should be larger in Size otherwise will be eaten by them.
Diet for Green Terror Cichlid
- They are omnivorous, and it’s always better to feed them varieties of food.
- Live Food is still better for Fishes, and if that’s not possible, then frozen food is also good.
- Mysis shrimp
- Freeze-dried krill
- Protein Tablets
- Blood Worms
Try to feed them in smaller portions instead of large amounts.
Always better to feed them 3 to 4 times a day. Give some supplements on a regular basis to keep them healthy.
Pearly Compressiceps Cichlid Tanks Aquarium (Tank ) Condition
- A well-lit Aquarium needed for them
- Properly constructed backgrounds required with numerous bolt holes needed
- Atleast one sandy area required in the Aquarium
- One large snail shell and small cave for female so that they can lay eggs and keep safe from a male counterpart
- Easy to keep this fish if someone able to change water on a regular basis.
Pearly Compressiceps Cichlid Tank Setup Guide
- tank temperature ranges from 73 to 81°F or 23-27°C
- the temperature should be a little higher in the breeding period
- water PH should be in the range 7.5-9.5 pH
- maintain water hardness between 9 to 19 dH
- Need atleast 40 gallons tank for single fish and if mixing then above 100 gallons Tank is suggested so that they can move freely and do their all-natural activities.
- Nitrates level in Aquarium should be lesser than 25 ppm.
- Pearly cichlids also need iodine for the thyroid to function properly for their growth and development, and which can be done by adding iodized table salt to the water.
- It’s always better to replace 20% of the water every week to keep water chemistry right. Suppose water and food are good. The Colour of the fish will be okay.
- always good to install an external water filter as they are sensitive to water chemistry
- Always keep a check on the carbonate hardness of the water.
if one takes care of these three things, you will notice
- color of fish is good
- they ill not get a disease
- they will live longer
- and do all their activities, and you will love them
Breeding Pearly Compressiceps Cichlid
- Eggs are laid in the cave, which should be too small for males to enter the cave.
- This species female takes the most brood-guarding job.
- males are more aggressive, and females are clam and take care of eggs
- Hatching of eggs takes around 2 to 5 days.
- The male job is to guard the territory.
- Approximately 70 to 200 eggs are laid at once and guided by Male cichlid, and females will take care of young ones. They take care of their young ones like good parents.
- Fry can be fed Hikari First Start, Cyclopeeze, baby brine shrimp, finely ground earthworms, and brine shrimp flakes.
- One should change water frequently in the first few weeks. preferably three times a week to keep fry healthy
Pearly Compressiceps Cichlid Common Disease
- once should maintain nitrate and phosphorous levels in the Aquarium
- always use Bio-Filters so that can maintain water chemistry
- They are prone to some problems like Ich.
- To avoid illness, one should keep water hardness and clean water of the Aquarium regularly to avoid.
- Other diseases that can impart this fish are skin flukes, parasitic infestations, fungal infections, and bacterial infections.
Is Pearly Compressiceps Cichlid right for Aquarium…?
- Beginners try to avoid keeping this fish. Yes, if you have experience in keeping fish can certainly a great addition to your Aquarium.
- This fish is for intermediate and experienced cichlid keeper only.
- They need atleast a 40-gallon tank, and if planning to keep more, they need 100 gallons of the tank to survive.
- The Aquarium needs regular maintenance.
if you think you can manage these things and love aggressive fish in your Aquarium, can go ahead and keep them
Packers Wide Receivers,
Emergency Alert Testideas For Harvest,
Active Duty Service Member,